31 December 2013

Old Year's Night



.....As its referred to in the West Indies. It’s that time of year again!

Time to close out one year and usher in a new one.  For some odd reason I was up really early this morning. So early in fact I was able to see Sydney usher in 2014 and as I write this it’s about eight minutes until midnight in Dubai and I am tuned in to see the city’s said record breaking fireworks display. I enjoy the ringing in of a new year and will continue to sneak peaks of various places around the world as they show the world their take on the tradition.

Suffice it to say 2013 was not without its challenges but as I spent that last couple of weeks reviewing, reflecting and unravelling, I realize all of it was not so bad.  But the bottom line is I do feel like I didn’t accomplish anything.  That may be stretching it a bit but I wanted to see a lot of changes in 2013 and didn’t.  I got discouraged when the big things didn’t work in my favor. Truth be told even when I dropped the ball, I didn’t pick it back up. By March I had become a statistic in New Year resolution planning.

I learned two lessons from that.
  • I will not have 20 BIG things to do in only 365 days. 
  • Something I hear ALL the time and should have adapted by now- I will make the goals S.M.A.R.T goals (specific measurable attainable realistic and timely). Why I didn’t do this for 2013 I do not know. I can only attribute it to a big move and travelling for the entire month of December though as I type it - it looks like an excuse. Sigh.


In reviewing the goals I have written down for 2014, I can say the overall focus has to do with my health.  I am in the final stages of CLARIFYING exactly what this means (trying to be S.M.A.R.T.) but it is my hope when I reflect on this at the end of 2014 I will have accomplished what I set out to do. 

What’s on your list to accomplish in 2014? However small or large I hope that you are successful in meeting and keeping those goals.

Here’s wishing you an absolutely fantabulous New Year celebration and New Year! Be safe and take a sip of something yummy and bubbly for me. I plan to stay in and take it in through the various national news outlets.

Besos,
Mel


Image courtesy of hdwallpapersinn.com

No comments: